Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Entry 11: Children talk

Two days ago, I went to visit an aunt and having some free time my mum and I decided to stay and have a chat. Much to my delight my lovely nephews were there, they live elsewhere but stay with their grandparents at noon because their parents have work. The older one is 3 and a half years old and goes to JIS in the morning, my younger nephew is going on 2 years and will soon be joining his brother in the same school. Now because my nephews don't see me much they were not familiar with me, so it took a while for them to settle with me. Sam*, my younger nephew just woke from his nap and looked at me with a skeptical face thinking " Who is this person?". He stuck close to his care taker and was afraid of me, funny enough in just 20 minutes he was tapping my leg (I was sitting on the carpet with him) and urged me to play with him. The little angel has yet to learn how to talk, but he understands very well what everyone else is talking about.

I think because we were talking out loud, my older nephew Will* woke up from his nap and came downstairs to see us. My uncle then carried down Will's toy truck with huge Lego like bricks.Will took a seat next to me (he hasn't seen me for some time too) assessed me for  a bit and then talked to me. I was surprised, I rarely heard him talk even on family gatherings cos he was shy and here he was telling me about "building houses" and tools like his "spanner" and even let me wear his safety hat after I told him how handsome he looked with it. He kept talking about construction and said "make a hole, let the cement dry and then go Boom, boom!" He was so so cute. At only 3 years old he's already showing what he liked to do, possibly from shows of Bob the builder! and I can't help but notice that all the toys designed for boys are of the construction kind. Let's face it : LEGO, Car Wash and service play toys(the one you build on your own) and also Puzzle type toys. Girls tend to have dolls, kitchen sets, cooking sets, and I was surprised when they even have a kid's sewing machine. such stereotyped toys but the kids loved it anyway, its like they already know  that's what they would like to do in the future through the nurturing of toys.

I did find it difficult to find what gift to buy for my niece when she was born last year.Baby toys have to be safe in case of choking hazards and I was not fond of soft furry toys in case it might cause allergic reactions from the dust that collects on it. (Babies put everything in their mouths!).
We'll see if I get to design and make baby friend-lier toys in the future.
(* = nick names )

No comments:

Post a Comment